Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Busy times

Seven weeks into the semester, this is one of those times when it pays to be on top of things. A big test was yesterday, there’s a long paper due tomorrow, a project down the road next week, plus getting enough sleep. Actually, come to think of it, that’s a pretty sparse schedule compared to a lot of students right around this time of year. A big reason for that is probably the fact that I’m commuting to campus for the first time this year.

In all honesty, it’s not something that I particularly enjoy. That might be because I was spoiled from three years of living on campus, but who’s counting, right? Having seen it from both sides now, I’ve got to say that the difference is like night and day. Not to discourage students from considering to commute, but I’ve started to feel really removed from the campus, mostly just because every night I’ve got to pack up and go back home. It’s not that that makes it impossible to be a part of the community, just more difficult. Not that I’m implying that things only happen at night up here, but being a commuter means that I always have to keep a 45 minute drive in mind. Plus, that’s 45 minutes less sleep, and seriously, who wants to give that up?

Again, I’m not saying that commuting is a terrible experience. I just know what I’m missing out on since I’ve had three years as a resident of the Allendale campus. If I were to go back as a freshman again, I would definitely choose to live on campus.

-Kyle

No comments: