Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Finals week... again

I’ve decided that I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with exam weeks. On the one hand, there’s a lot less required class time, since we only meet once this week for the exam. On the other hand, I have to do about twice as much time outside of class for studying, just by virtue of it being exam week. Or at least I should do that much extra time, I suppose you’ll have to ask me next week about the time and effort I wind up putting into my studies compared to the results that I get out of them. But we are in the middle of another set of finals, and I’ve come to realize that I’m starting to live my life in semesters. I don’t think of it in years, or count months, it’s like my year is made up of two 16-week halves with a surprise break every summer.

Finals week also means book buy-back, which is also usually nice. Again, I suppose you’ll have to ask me next week, as I’m still using three of my textbooks and don’t know how much they’re worth. On top of that, I may keep one of the books. My capstone class has been pretty difficult, but also very educating, so I may keep that one for future reference. Still, it’s money that I didn’t have before, so I’m not complaining. Another nice bonus of finals week is the 24-hour schedule for the library; it’s certainly not the only study-spot on campus, but I would go as far as to say that it’s the best. Though I do wind up spending a lot more time in the Grand Rapids campus library, rather than the Allendale location.

Finals week also usually feels kind of odd, in that there’s only this week left in the semester. Maybe I’m strange, but I don’t usually count down the days until class is out, so I feel like I’m always surprised when one session is over and the next begins. Speaking of which, after this week there’s going to be a week of nothing, followed by spring classes. Spring/summer semesters are always really interesting; I’ve only taken classes during this period once and didn’t mind it, but the accelerated 6-week semester is a lot more fast paced than a usual period. Also, it’s pleasant to get out of class and then consider going to the beach.

But I had probably better get going, after I finish up work I’ve still got three exams to study for and a final paper to review. Let me know if anybody has any concerns.

-Kyle

No comments: